Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Elf for the Day

As all elementary school teachers know, the Christmas season brings more than just Christmas trees, shopping, caroling, and family get togethers. For teachers, Christmas means homemade Christmas ornaments, Christmas picture books, and of course the class party. In my 11 years of teaching experience, I have never quite had a Christmas class party quite like the one I had today.
It all started last week with the annual Nat Williams PTA Elf Contest. Students are encouraged to bring money and donate it towards the teacher of their choice. The teacher that has the most money donated into their "account" has to wear....yep....you guessed it.....an elf costume. A hideous, ridiculously large, green and yellow elf costume.
Up until this year, I have never had more than $2.00 donated to my name. Therefore, I was not one bit concerned when it came time for the Elf Contest this year. I didn't pay any attention to it until one of my students brought $12.80 to my desk on the first day of the contest. Wow, I thought to myself...that's kind of a lot of money to donate on the first day. For the slightest moment the dreadful picture of ME in that hideous, ridiculously large, green and yellow elf costume popped into my head. No way....Not gonna happen. The next day...in comes $15 more dollars. That's when I started to sweat and feel a bit nauseous. Fortunately, by the end of the week I was only fifty cents ahead of one of the male teachers in our school. My fear subsided because we all know students love to see men have to wear tights. I knew the students would show up on Monday, the last day of the contest, with all their pennies, nickels, and dimes ready to give it all to the other teacher.
I was half right. They definitely did show up with all their pennies, nickels, and dimes.....$26.00 worth just from my class.....and they put it ALL on my name. By the end of the day on Monday, I was ahead by $25.00 and the announcement was made. My students cheered like crazy, and I reluctantly picked up MY hideous, ridiculously large, green and yellow elf costume and took it home.
As you can imagine, Presley was beside herself excited. She was so proud that her momma was going to have to dress up like an elf at school. However, Jim may have been even more excited than her. In fact, the only one who was NOT excited was the elf herself. I don't mean to be a Scrooge, but come on.....Nothing says cute like a PREGNANT ELF!!! Luckily, I had Tuesday to "get used to the idea".....(put my big elf panties on and deal with it.) I knew how excited my students were and that there was no backing out of it, so this morning I woke up with a smile on my face (well, almost), put on my elf suit, and headed to school....BUT not before making each one of my students a matching elf hat to wear, too. :)
As the bell rang, I braced myself for the heckling of 430 or so students that was sure to come, and of course, did come. My students were good sports and put on their elf hats so I wouldn't feel "alone." Honestly, I think they loved every minute of it. Besides the fact that I was sweating like crazy under the ridiculously large, green and yellow costume...oh, yes, and it was hideous....I would say that I survived being an elf for a day. I can't even believe that I am posting these pictures, but if this isn't "blogworthy" what is?? Besides, all of you would not believe just how hideous, etc, etc, it really was unless you see it for yourself. Just remember the costume puts on at least 20 pounds....

8 comments:

Kim Jones said...

Haha! That is too funny! You look great as an elf.

Misti said...

What a cute little elf you are!!! I think you wore it well! I know your kiddos enjoyed it too! Good for you for being a good sport - great lesson for your kiddos!!! You're an AWESOME teacher and your class is lucky to have you! I can SO picture Jim LOVING your elf outfit too!!!

Jim Archer said...

Baby, you're the hottest elf I've ever seen, except maybe for that She-Elf on Lord of the Rings. Why don't you bring that elf suit home with you tonight? I'll pretend to be Santa (or that He-Elf on Lord of the Rings). Whatever works for you. Wink

Love the blog!

Kim Jones said...

Jim, you are officially WEIRD!!

Matt and Rebekah said...

I love it!!! You are such a good sport. Just for the record...it's not hideous. It is in fact wayyyy too big, but it looks like an elf should. Not so much Lord of the Rings elf, but whatever. Glad I didn't call you last night! LOL Thanks for posting. Your class looks cute in their hats too. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

That is too cute! You make a very cute elf!

Chris and Carolee said...

So funny!! Thanks for sharing pics. You are such a great teacher. I know all of the kids had a good time. Sorry that it was at your expense.

Lee said...

You are such a good sport! It really doesn't look that bad. Honest. :)