Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Toughest Job in the World

Sigh...I am having one of those days. You moms and dads out there surely know the ones. The days when you feel like a failure as a parent. Okay, that's a bit drastic, I guess. I think I know I'm a good mom. I have so much love in my heart and soul for my kids, sometimes I seriously think my heart is going to explode. Sometimes it actually does explode in the form of tears of joy just spilling out or a laughter erupting from deep inside that I can't control.
It all started with a cavity. Presley complained of her tooth hurting last night, so I automatically thought we might be getting close to a visit from the tooth fairy. Kindergarteners lose teeth, right? Well, as I got a closer look, I saw that to my fear, shock, and horror, my daughter did not have a lose tooth, but a big black spot on her tooth. Unfortunately, as I looked closer I saw not one spot, but three! Even as I type this, I know that it probably sounds ridiculous to some, but I feel personally responsible. Yes, we make sure Presley brushes her teeth every night and day, but how did her mother let those cavities get there?
Secondly, I know that it is inevitable that my children are going to make mistakes very, very frequently. However, sometimes we get into a nice swing of life, when all is manageable, and then BAM! We are reminded that parenting is the toughest job in the world. Tough for so many reasons. Again, there is that feeling of personal responsibility for how they act, how I choose to discipline them, and how I am going to make it all better. I know that it is my job and Jim Bob's job to teach our children that while we all make mistakes, there are consequences for the choices we make. Sometimes those consequences require tough love. Sometimes I have an easier time with this than others. It is difficult to see my kids make bad choices, but it is even harder to discipline them while trying to explain that you love them. I mean, come on, how can I LOVE them if I'm taking their favorite toy away until their behavior improves? How can I LOVE them if I am making them go to time out, grounding them to their room, or giving them a spanking?
Don't you think that is how God feels about us? This afternoon, I watched Jim take our sweet kiddo into his arms and just hold her as she sobbed and sobbed because she had made a bad choice and knew there were major consequences to come. I watched him wrap her up with all he had and let her cry on his shoulder. The consequences were still to come, and they both knew that. Her daddy's heart was breaking even more than hers was, I know this for sure. I imagine that when I make a bad choice, that God's heart is breaking. Often, I come to Him, just like Presley came to us, and I say I'm sorry and ask for forgiveness. Often there are tears. I imagine my heavenly father crying with me, forgiving me, but allowing me to suffer the consequences of my choices. Yes, because he loves me.
I feel as if I am rambling, and could go on forever, and if anyone makes it to this part, thanks for letting me be honest about my parenting thoughts and my daughter's cavities. My prayer is for all parents who have had "one of those days" lately. I also thank God that while parenting is definitely hard sometimes, it is also the absolute most rewarding, most incredible, most important job that I have.
Thank you, God, for the gift of my babies. Help me to lead them in the way they should go. Help me to show them your love and teach them to be more like you. Lord, help me to be more like you.

5 comments:

Matt and Rebekah said...

You're so right. I love reading posting like yours that remind me that although I feel like such a "let down" to my Father most of the time, we're all in the same boat and it's because He loves me that I feel the pain or shame or whatever emotion it is. We're all in this parenting thing together. You are a fantastic mom! Human, yes. But a blessing to your sweet kids no less. God knew that they needed you and Jim to be their parents and that you guys needed them as your children. It's part of His perfect and pleasing will. Awesome, huh?

Jennifer-Colley said...

Praying for you! Presley is the best niece I could ever ask for! And she loves my baby so that makes me love her even more! Love you too!! Had fun hanging out tonight! thanks for dinner!

Craig and Jill said...

Just as I write this, my 6 week old is in the next room, crying like crazy... It's time to go to sleep (it's 10:53 pm)...she ate at 9... She will literally cry all the way to her next feeding... Her little tummy hurts so bad. I'm trying so hard NOT to lay her on her tummy at night b/c: A) that means she sleeps with mommy; and B) she gets used to the fact that she HAS to have a heating pad on her tummy. So... I went and bought a Hot Water Bottle (looks like a whoopy cushion to me...) to lay on her tummy while she lays on her back... She's still upset. So... that feeling, like you're letting your child down, and there's nothing in the world you can do to make it better... I totally feel it. I've felt it every time she wakes up in the middle of the night screaming b/c her tummy hurts. So...I'll pray for you...that you realize that you're an amazing mom (I'm just sure of it)... and I'll let you pray for me...that I get through this stage in her life... and in MINE! Love you! Miss you!

Unknown said...

Great blog!

kristen lewis said...

One of my very favorite scriptures is Hebrews 12:6 - "The Lord disciplines those he loves." It never occurred to me that discipline and love were so closely related until I became a mother. Love is setting a boundary and praying that your child will go beyond the borders and learn a lesson while they are still small enough to recover in your arms. I wrestle with the same stuff, sweet friend. You are an amazing mother. Stay the course, and know that she will not remember the "trouble" that she was in as much as she will remember the unconditional love that you gave her throughout. Love you.