Saturday, May 16, 2009

Just Like Daddy

Like a lot of families, we have our best conversations at the dinner table. Often they are very random and come out of nowhere. Take today for example, Jim, Presley, Grayson, and I sat down to our PBJ sandwiches at lunch today and the following conversation was started by my "always full of interesting thoughts and random questions" daughter....

Presley: I wonder what my last name will be when I get married.
Jim (almost choking on his food): Well, I don't think you really need to worry about that anytime soon.
Presley: Yeah, I know. It's against the law for a girl to get married until after she's a teenager. She has to be like 20 or maybe even 30.
Jim: That is exactly right, Presley.
Me (thinking it is quite funny to watch Jim squirm): Whatcha lookin for in the guy your gonna marry, Pres?
Presley: Well, the most IMPORTANT thing is that he knows what kind of drink you like.
Jim and I (thinking we may need to spend more time on this topic in the future): Oh Really?
Presley: Yeah, you know, Mom, like how Daddy knows you like Diet Coke, so he always surprises you with one from the store? Oh and it is real important that he doesn't steal.

This is where Jim and I usually stop talking and just listen. Presley gets on a roll, and she is just full of information. Here is what else she had to say about marriage.

Presley: The boy you marry also has to do a lot of stuff. He has to take care of the kids and the woman. Just like Daddy does. Also, the most important thing is that he has to love God and have faith like Daddy does. (now she's getting it)
Grayson: I have a face. (He is good at interjecting his own opinion now and then.)
Presley: When people get married, it's kinda embarressing for us kids because they have to kiss each other in front of all those people....EWWW. They should have kids real fast because we kids are so much fun.
Me, AKA the woman: What do you want him to look like?
Presley (with the sweetest little grin): Well, he has to have green eyes, and brown spiky hair, and wear t-shirts.
Does that sound like anyone you know? Yep, sounds just like Daddy.

Here's to my precious, loving, meant just for me Man who knows exactly what my favorite drink is, who NEVER steals, who takes care of his kids and his woman, who loves God and has incredible faith, who is also very HOT with his green eyes, spiky hair, and his t-shirts. I love you, Jim. Thank you for showing our daughter what to look for in a husband when she is 20 or 30. I love you and I will be praying for you this week as you serve in Morocco. I'm gonna miss you like crazy, but I am so proud of you! I can't wait for you to get back so we can cuddle and I can hear all about your trip. I love you, Jim Bob!

10 comments:

The Barnes Bunch said...

How precious!!

Kim Jones said...

Awww! You all are the sweetest family!

Fortner Family said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard!!

Jamie said...

Aaahh... Precious! :)

Bonky's Mom said...

now that is CUTE!

Anonymous said...

That is SO sweet!! Yall have such a wonderful family! That is so neat that Jim is going to Morocco! We will be praying for him!

Misti said...

I am almost crying I'm laughing SO hard about Grayson's chiming in with hes 2 cents worth: "I have a face!" LOVE IT! Hope Jim has a wonderful trip to Morocco! Love ya!

kristen lewis said...

Sweet girl! Isn't it wonderful to have Godly men to show our girls what to expect in a marriage?

Jennifer-Colley said...

ahh that is soo sweet! I can totally picture that conversation and her adorable voice! I love her!

HollyAnn said...

Hey Archers! I found you on Ms. Bonk's blog! When we had them over for dinner the other day, we found out they know you guys! It is a small world! I don't know if you remember us, but John and I were the volunteer youth leaders in Cotton Center a LONG time ago! :) Shepherd Blind blessed us by coming and playing for our small group many times! Good to see your sweet family!