Friday, May 22, 2009

Halfway There

Well, I have survived three full days and nights of Jim being on another continent. Even more impressive is I have survived three full days and nights with two kiddos who miss their daddy. We are actually doing great, (sob!), no really, (sob, sob!) we are all terrific! Jim, just ignore the sobbing....we really are all fine and our dog is still alive. AFter tonight, we will be halfway through our time apart, and I can start counting down the days until Jim is back in my arms. His trip is going well. The kids and I were able to talk to him on the phone Thursday morning, but I don't expect to hear from him again until Sunday. He is trying to post on his new blog whenever he gets a chance, which so far has not been often, but I will take whatever he can give me. Follow his travels and see what God is doing at http://www.jimbobarcher.blogspot.com/

Let me brag on how precious and thoughtful and wonderful and sweet and incredible my husband is. He knew that one of the hardest things we would encounter while he was gone was bedtime. Grayson has to, has to, has to have a "goodnight hug and sugar" from his dad each and every night. So, Jim wrote letters to the kids for each night that he was gone and called them his "goodnight hug and sugar." Included with each note to us, is a Bible story for us to read and a small present. So far the kids have gotten toothpaste (Not only did he think I would forget to feed our dog, he also must have thought that I'd forget to brush our kids' teeth and he would come home to more huge dental bills), a new pair of pajamas, and books to read at bedtime. He even threw in a coffee card for me (since he's not here to make my coffee each morning...I know, I'm spoiled) and some new books to read when I'm up in the middle of the night because I can't sleep without him. These little surprises and words of love from Jim have made our transition to bedtime much easier. Is he not unbelievably wonderful, or what? Gosh, I miss him so much.

This week has been busy enough to keep me from dweling on my loneliness too terribly much.
School has been hectic, but fun with awards ceremonies, end of the year parties, and Buddy Fun Day. Presley had her first Buddy Fun Day at school today. She had a blast! I can't believe she is almost officially a first grader. Crazy! I will post on her awards ceremony soon. I also found out that all my students passed the writing TAKS test! 100%! My mom and dad have also been awesome in keeping us busy and checking up on us. I am so proud of Jim and the work God is doing through him. I know he will have so much to tell me when he returns. Thanks for praying for his safety and the trip overall. Only five more days to go!

3 comments:

ashley said...

what a thoughtful guy you have! and congrats on your TAKS scores; I know that is a big deal!

Unknown said...

I have to say I am impressed! Is he with Mike Lewis? Also loved your previous blog too, just too lazy to comment twice.

kristen lewis said...

We are going to make it! I am looking forward to tomorrow and so sorry that I had to bail on this morning. Love you.