Friday, June 5, 2009

Fatten UP Friday

So, obviously, I have fallen very behind in my blogging lately. The last time I posted, I was in the midst of surviving a week without my hubby. Since then, he has made it home safely, and we are all thouroughly enjoying our first summer to all be home together. Yes, I have fallen behind on my posting, but it has not been due to lack of blogworthy material. My husband hijacked my camera and took it to Morocco, so I have not been able to post any pics. (Thankfully, he did not leave my camera with his passport in Spain.) Anyway, what's a blog without pics, right? I have now retaken possession of the Kodak, and boy do we have pictures.....Consider this your warning that the following post/pictures may give you indigestion via the internet...
I confess, my family and I love to eat. It seems that often our most exciting, fun moments revolve around where and what we will eat. Now, we have made a pretty big effort to eat healthy for the majority of the time, however, after today, all Fridays throughout the summer have been declared "Fat Friday." It started out this afternoon with a craving for ice cream. I have always wanted to go to the Ice Cream Shoppe on 26th and Boston. So, we loaded up the fam and headed out for a sweet treat. By the way, this is now my new favorite ice cream shoppe. It is like stepping back in time, complete with a free juke box in the back. We each got our favorite flavor, loaded the juke box with Elvis songs, and had a great time.

Oh friends, if only it ended with an innocent ice cream cone. We then decided that it would be a great night for a date to the Drive-In. I love, love, love going to the drive-in with my kiddos and my honey. There is nothing better than holding my kids in my lap, sharing a box of popcorn, and watching a family film. That is unless you send your husband into the snack bar without you. Most of you who know Jim Bob will understand that I should have known better than to send him into get food. I should also know better than to tell him to just surprise me with something. I kid you not, my husband returned 15 minutes later with....3 chihuahuas, chicken strips, two corn fritters, chili cheese fries, a funnel cake, and a large box of popcorn. Seriously! What was a girl to do? What kind of wife would I be if I allowed my husband to bear all of these calories on his own? So, I set all calories and points aside and dug in! The kids didn't help much, but they did what they could... Yes, that is a funnel cake in my lap....

On a LIGHTER note, ahem, we saw the movie UP. It was wonderful, and had a great message. I would highly recommend it. I was not prepared to get misty eyed within the first 10 minutes and surely did not expect to actually cry by the end, but it could have been the cheese fries. We ended our fabulous, first "Fat Friday" by taking a ride on the Marsha Sharp Freeway aka "The Shark" as Grayson likes to call it. For some strange reason, anytime we go on "The Shark," my kids throw their hands up in the air and scream as if on a roller coaster...Don't really know why, but I love it! Life is an adventure, so take a day every now and then to grab some icecream, stay up late at the drive-in, eat some fried food (I am not suggesting you eat as much as we did tonight....a little goes a long way), and when you are on an overpass throw your hands up in the air and scream!

4 comments:

kristen lewis said...

I love this! Wanna get together next Friday? We will join in the fun!

cass.mcdonald said...

Is this ever followed up with Treadmill Tuesday? Looks like a ton of fun. I remember a story Jim told about eating his green jell-o dessert while in line at Furrs. He said it drives you crazy! With this kind of behavior, he can never be trusted to go to the snack bar unassisted!

The Barnes Bunch said...

How Fun!! I am so glad you guys are enjoying your summer!!

Fortner Family said...

What a fun family memory!! I would love to get together with you and have lunch or icecream.