Sunday, November 30, 2008

So Very Thankful

Well, the turkey has been eaten and pumpkin pie devoured.....This turkey is stuffed! We had such a wonderful Thanksgiving. I love the Thanksgiving Holiday so much! I feel like it is a time when I am more likely to stop and actually think seriously about all that I have to be thankful for. I thank God every day of the year for the obvious things like my incredible husband, my beautiful, healthy children, and my parents. However, Thanksgiving makes me remember some of the things that I am very thankful for, but often forget to mention to my heavenly father. I wish I would realize more often that everyday is a day for Thanksgiving.
One of the things that I have been thinking a lot about this Thanksgiving is family. Now I realize that is something that most people think a great deal about during this time of year. But, I've got a serious extended FAMILY to be thankful for. Our Thanksgiving plans consisted of THREE Thanksgiving dinners. THREE seperate occasions that our family welcomed us into their home and looked forward to seeing us. THREE days of feasting and visiting with people who had an enormous part in molding Jim and I into who we are today. THREE different families that loved on Presley and Grayson more than one can even imagine.
We started on Thanksgiving day at my mom and dad's house. I'm sure I looked funny walking down the street with a green bean casserole in my hands. Isn't that awesome that I just have to walk less than 50 yards to see my parents? We celebrated with Coby, Jen, Camren, and my Memaw. It was great! This year I have a sweet nephew to be thankful for! The whole family even went to see Bolt in 3D later that night.
The next day we headed to Lamesa to celebrate with Jim's family. It was great to see Jim's parents, Donnell and Family, Dale, Madonna, Tony, and Weston, and Aunt Lana. I am so blessed to be a part of the Archer Family. I couldn't have asked God for a better family to marry into. I loved the way we each had to say something we were thankful for before our prayer. I especially loved how my husband said he was thankful for his "Smokin' Hot Wife!" (Thanks honey.....You might want to explain to Presley why she should stop calling me that.)
The next day we stayed in Lubbock and went to the Tech game. I did have my first national TV appearance during the game, and yes I was freezing if you could not tell! Go Red Raiders!
Finally, today, we drove to Lamesa again for our third and final Thanksgiving dinner. This time we celebrated with my Mimi and Papa and all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and all the new babies. I love how close my family is to one another. I also hope that I will never stop spending the Sunday after Thanksgiving at Mimi and Papa's house like I have for the last 30 years.
As we were driving home tonight, exhausted with belly aches and ready to get home, I couldn't help thinking about how amazingly blessed I am to have so many incredible people I get to call FAMILY.
Thank you God for all of your wonderful blessings of FAMILY.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday!
I, too, had trouble showing thanks for the little things, until I started writing something I was thankful for in my prayer journal at night before bed. Many times it is easy to come up with a long list, but some days when life isn't playing very nice, I settle for being thankful for marshmallows for my hot chocolate or good coffee creamer. Sounds silly, but I am thankful for those little parts of my life!
Miss you much.

Casanova Family said...

I'm so glad that you're aware of how precious family is. I have no parents and grandparents so it warms my heart to know that you have this in your life.

Craig and Jill said...

Kelli!!!!
I'm so glad you found me!!! Are you on Facebook or Myspace (not my favorite place ever...but it covers some people I don't have on Facebook). E-mail if you get a chance!! Miss you so much - and I just loved looking at you and your beautiful family!! Tell Jim hello!!!